Dear SCAI Members:
SCAI PAC is the only political action committee that advocates for interventional cardiologists like you. Our goal this year is to educate Members of Congress, in a bipartisan fashion, to REJECT THE PROPOSED 10 PERCENT MEDICARE CUTS PROPOSED BY CMS. These cuts go into effect on January 1st, 2021. The clock is ticking!
You might assume that our SCAI dues pay for all that “Government Relations stuff.” In fact:
- Only 15 percent of SCAI dues goes toward lobbying
- Zero percentage of SCAI dues go to the PAC, by law
- Members of Congress spend about half their time raising campaign funds for their reelection
- Getting on a Member of Congress’s schedule is valuable because it allows us to talk directly to them about our concerns
- SCAI PAC is bipartisan. We’ve had critical meetings with Rep. Mike Burgess, MD (R-TX), Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA), Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI), Rep. Raul Ruiz, MD, (D-CA), Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR), among others
- Other associations may talk about representing our interests on Capitol Hill, SCAI does it!
Rep. Mike Burgess, MD (R-Texas) and Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) have introduced H.R.8505, a bill that would halt the cuts for 2021. Ami Bera, MD (D-Calif.) and Rep. Larry Buschon (R-Ind.) have introduced H.R. 8702, a bill that would halt the cuts for 2021 and 2022. They get it!
But there is more work to be done. Help SCAI PAC to get our message out. Both big and small donations are welcome. With your help, we can stop the cuts! Contribute today!”
Lyndon C. Box, MD, FSCAI
SCAI PAC Chair
Joaquin Cigarroa, MD, FSCAI
SCAI PAC Co-Chair